Texas Auto Writers Association Names Winners of Excellence in Craft Competition
Dallas, TX, September 25, 2015…Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA) announced the winners of their ninth annual Excellence in Craft Competition at a lunch event held at the Music Hall at Fair Park September 25. The six categories and winning entries follow:
English Language Newspaper, judged by esteemed newsman, author, and four-time Pulitzer Prize nominee Hugh Aynesworth.
- 1. Steve Wheeler, The Advocate, article about Dodge SRT Hellcat.
- 2. Derek Price, St. Louis Post Dispatch, column evaluating the Toyota Highlander.
- 3. Tabatha Chovanetz, Focus Daily News, article about the Ford Mustang.
Spanish Language Newspaper, judged by bilingual Northwood University MBA and DSM Public Relations manager Francisco Chairez.
- 1. Ellie Byrd, El Heraldo News-Sabre Ruedas, article on the 2015 Scion tC..
- 2. Gretha Gudmundsson, El Lider USA, Motor Avenida, article on 2016 Ford Edge.
- 3. Krystle Smart, El Lider USA, article on 2015 Nissan Rogue.
Magazine, judged by award-winning journalist and author Carlton Stowers.
- 1. “Tow, Tow, Tow Your Boat” by Linda Water Nelson for Gaff Magazine.
- 2. “Driving It Makes All the Difference” by Joe Sage for Arizona Driver Magazine.
- 3. “What Drives Us? By Beverly and Steve Smirnis for Estate Life.
Radio, judged by longtime KSCI reporter Brother Van.
- 1. The Car Pro Show, listener call-in program. Jerry Reynolds hosts syndicated program on numerous stations across the country with sidekick Kevin McCarthy.
- 2. The Automotive Reporter, Houston area radio show featuring Harold Gunn and Brent Clanton, Interview with Ford Historian Bob Kreipke.
- 3. The High Tech Texan Show with Michael Garfield, Interview with GM Communications Manager Stuart Fowle.
Internet, judged by graphic artist, illustrator, journalist Stan Hulen.
- 1. Derek Shiekhi, Internet Brands Automotive Group, article: “Ford Wins Truck of Texas and More at TAWA’s 2014 Truck Rodeo”
- 2. Sherri Tilley, TheFlashList.com, article “Car Review: 2015 Chrysler 200 C AWD”
- 3. Greg Riley, Garage Deluxe. Article: “Greg Goes a Hellcattin’…”
Photography, Entries Judged by Christian Waits, ProPhotography Studios.
1. Kevin McCauley, Ford GT40
2. Sherri Tilley, Mazda 3 Kodo Design.
“The Excellence in Craft Competition is the opportunity to showcase the work of our members,” said Michael Marrs, President of the Texas Auto Writers Association. “The 2015 competition was an outstanding success, with Chairman Durhl Caussey putting together an esteemed panel of judges who really had their work cut out for them with all the great entries.”
Texas Auto Writers Association is a nonprofit organization promoting professionalism and quality in automotive journalism for more than two decades. TAWA produces two annual events that have gained national traction: the Texas Truck Rodeo and the Texas Auto Roundup at Texas Motor Speedway. Each year, TAWA awards scholarships to Texas college and university students with a journalism major. The group’s annual Excellence in Craft Competition recognizes its members’ exceptional coverage of the automotive industry.
# # #
For more information about TAWA, visit www.texasautowriters.org.
For media information, please contact Jo Ann Holt Caussey, VP Communications, at [email protected].